Monday, May 01, 2017

What I Would Have Said....



I spent the first fifty years of my life reading-and I read mostly crime fiction. I eagerly awaited the newest Travis McGee, Lew Archer, Spencer, Inspector Wexford, Kinsey Milhone, Inspector Morse. I would like to thank the people in this room tonight and all of their predecessors for giving me so many hours of sheer joy.  I never thought to be in a room with you. Thank you.
I would also like to thank Jason Pinter for taking a chance with a writer of such advanced years. I want to thank my husband and children for giving me support at an age when I should be giving it to them. Thanks to Dan Conaway for serving as my unofficial agent, to Clair Lamb for helping me to shape this book, to Shell Hensleigh for helping me with the photography, and to Mark Glenn for his help on how Detroit Police function, to Sandra Scoppettone, Ed Gorman, Anca Vlasopolos, Bryon Quertermous, and Dennis James for urging me on when I was ready to give up. Thanks to all the editors of zines. magazines, and anthologies that published the stories I wrote for the first ten years. And especially thanks to Brian Lindenmuth for publishing the two ebooks. The panel chair at the Edgars asked if I could see an evolution in my writing and indeed, I can. Yet these gracious editors put those early stories into print, giving me courage to continue writing. 
And thanks to the people of Detroit for providing me with such a rich landscape. The Detroit of 2008 no longer exists but it made (thank goodness) but it make fertile ground for a novel. 

8 comments:

Rick Robinson said...

Very nice, Patti. I was sure pulling for you, but I'm sure you're very proud to have been nominated.

SteveHL said...

That's excellent, Patti. Yours was the only book in your category that I have read, so I have no hesitation in saying it was my favorite. I honestly did like it very much; it's hard to believe that any of the others could be as good.

As Rick Robinson said, the nomination itself was quite an honor.

SteveHL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
SteveHL said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks so much. It was a privilege to be there.

Richard Wheeler said...

Your generosity and grace tell us how beautiful you are in all the important ways.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I know the kindest, most gallant gentlemen.

Charles Gramlich said...

Cool. would have been nice to hear it for real!