Monday, April 25, 2011

HOW I CAME TO WRITE THIS STORY: Jodi McArthur


How I Came To Write This Story: The Wicked Woman’s Booty

When Jason Michel asked me to write a fun, campy, cliché pirate serial back in late 09’ to lighten up Pulp Metal Magazine, I was surprised to say the least. Hello? I was a horror writer. And who ever heard of a woman writing pirates? And I had no experience writing a “… to be continued!”. I was unsure, but Jason Michel has always believed in me and encouraged me to go beyond my comfort zone. After finishing up Devil’s Eye last year, I was reading Arabians Nights and was completely enamored with the piece. An idea struck, and the The Wicked Woman’s Booty was born.

I have been asked many, many times where do I draw my inspiration? Is it Pirates of The Caribbean? That makes me laugh every single time. Sure I think Jack Sparrow is fun. I liked the first one, but every one after that is kinda (you know) LAME. I love Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson (he is a writing god to me!). The old black and white pirate movies like Blackbeard are awesome. Goonies is one of my favorites too. I enjoy these, but they don’t inspire my pirates so much. Music. Music definitely inspires. I have a whole playlist full of goodies including Slayer, AC/DC, Fused, Alestorm, Apocalyptica, Rob Zombie, Nick Cave, Therion, Rise Against, and a little bit of Metallica. Watching Cyndi Lauper kick her heels up in Goonies R Good Enough is its own kind of inspiration. I sing along with her on pirate Sundays. But sticking with literature, Arabian Nights inspires my pirates the most. The audience will understand as the Wicked Woman sails deeper into the Sea of Imagination. On that note, here is the real honest to goodness reason I love pirates:

One of my grandmothers lived in a Viking town, right off Puget Sound. Every August, they had a parade on Front Street, and we’d go. This one summer, the temperature was off the charts. The smell of sweat, beer, cigarette smoke and cotton candy was so thick you couldn’t swim through it. Wasps kept pestering us. I was shooing them away from my little sister when the Viking ship float drove through.

We cheered and laughed. The Vikings on board sang chanties in a thunderous choir. They had long rugged beards, wore helmets, armor, and swords. The drunks in the crowd sang along with them.

I don’t know if it was the sun, the band, or the beer, but something in the air was begging for trouble. The band in front of the float played harder, the Vikings in the float sang louder. They did their garrrrs! at the crowds and the women flirted back. It was all so exciting. Surreal. And when all the Vikings yelled and jumped ship --there was a down right ruckus.

They grabbed shrieking women off the street and threw them into the ship. People scattered and ran for their lives (!) Children lost their cotton candy. Babies cried. The band played on and I remember the sound of beer bottles breaking. I was genuinely terrified, frozen like a deer watching. At one point, the crowd parted. My eyes locked with one particular young Viking, the spell broke and he chased me through the crowd. I screamed and hollered, horrified, terrified and delighted at the same time (where was my mother!?!). Anyway, he finally caught me, threw me up in the air and let out this Viking war cry that I will never forget. I just remember screaming, half scared out of my wits and half absolutely thrilled because I knew it was all in fun. He set me down, grabbed my chin and said, “That’s a pretty lass.” He put his Viking hat on my head covering my eyes. By the time I pulled the helmet off, he was gone and my mom had found me and was asking me why I had run away. I don’t think she would remember it today. But I will never forget.

I understand there is a vast difference between Vikings and pirates. (Give me WWF smackdown! Pirates vs Vikings!) But… close enough. I hope The Wicked Woman’s Booty brings to the audience the same thrill, scare, tease, and delight I felt in that instant when that Viking held me in the air and gave his war cry. You can find all seven episodes (so far) at Pulp Metal Magazine here or you can find more info at my site here.

***

Exiled in deep southern Texas, Jodi is a Seattle author hoping to write her way back to the Pacific Northwest. She writes omnivorous fiction favoring fable, suburban punk, pulp, horror, and bizarro.


16 comments:

David Cranmer said...

Jodi is a magnificent author and a joy to work with. And she has an unprecedented knowledge of Sesame Street which has come in handy for this new father.

Paul D Brazill said...

Ahoy. Smashing story!Splendid writer. Me timbers a well shivered now, I can tell you!

Charles Gramlich said...

Put all those things together and you've got a winner. This one certainly was.

Anonymous said...

Patti - Thanks for hosting Jodi.

Jodi - Pirates (at least fictional ones) really do have an appeal, don't they? The real-life ones? Not so much. But it's that fictional pirate life that just draws us in. I'm so glad you listened to Jason...

Gerard Saylor said...

Re: Music. Rogue's Gallery: Pirate Ballads, Sea Songs, and Chanteys is neat. Old tunes sung by modern artists.

wholesale Wireless Accessories said...

I think you were really that inspired in writing that book; really magnificent. I know that when writing it doesn't require much effort as long as you are really enjoying what you are doing. You will love to write anything if you are inspired.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Aww, thanks, David. ;-) It’s been awhile since I’ve sent one to you and your charmers. I remembered a muppets with Steve Martin dueling out with banjos the other day and thought of sending it.

Paul ~ shivered is better than splintered! Thank ye, mate!

Charles~ Glad you enjoy the tales. I appreciate your following along, mister.

Margot ~ Nice to meet you. And I tend to agree. I actually have a fascination with the old pirates. The captains were often well educated, but unemployed. They ran their ships with order and discipline, often didn’t drink and rose early. And like Attila the Hun used fear rather than actual savagery (although Attila in the end was barbaric, but his tactic was fear). Think of Billy the Kid. It was a game in his mind (only he used charm). The crew that worked for the captains were often terrible people that got their asses whipped into shape on ship or walked the plank. Interesting phenomena. Today’s “pirates” have absolute no class! And yes, fictional pirates like pulp is much more fun and less trouble than true to life crime.

Hi Gerard! That sounds great. I’ll check it out. Thanks!

Patti ~ I got our dates messed up. I had the 28th in my mind, but now I recall you had said Monday. Thank you for hosting me. ;-)

Michael Solender said...

Jodi Mac is one of the most talented and versatile writers out there. She is up for any challenge and her work is constantly pushing the bar for the rest of us. I am glad to number her amongst my pals..

EC said...

I still can't figure out how you write "pirate" so well. It looks incredibly difficult, but you string it along with humor and adventure so easily.

Though we fear the step beyond our comfort zone, I think for writers, it is essential (especially for horror writers), because to be outside our own boundaries, is where the real fear begins, and I have no doubt that Devil's Eye is going to reflect all that awesome inside of you.

David Barber said...

Jodi, you are an inspiration! I love your writing. Nuffield said!

AC said...

All right. You've convinced me to go back and read Treasure Island again.

Madam Z said...

Yes, Jodi, I agree with all the praise the commenters have heaped upon your wonderful, talented self! I have enjoyed everything of yours that I have read. And oh my! How I love the Viking story you recounted here! Half of my genes have some connection to those scurrilous seafarers, something which has caused me to be "...horrified... and delighted at the same time..." as you were when accosted by the modern day reenactor. Keep on keeping on, Wicked Woman!

Angel Zapata said...

I agree with Erin's comment. It's not easy writing prirate, yet Jodi makes it seem very, very easy.

Arghhhhhh, Jodi.

Jodi MacArthur said...

Mike S ~ You are the one pushing the bar for us, mister national magazine and Derringer award winner! Thank you, my friend.

Erin~ It would be too embarrassing to tell you how many drafts I go through to get a single episode out (that’s why there are only 7 in almost a year!) Love what you said about fear and growing as a writer. You have so much insight, Erin. Adore you, girl!

David ~ Thank you! As you know you are an inspiration to me too. I write hack and slash because of you. muahahaha

AC~ Good stuff!

Madam Z ~ Pirate Queen is in your very DNA? So this all makes sense. I’ve noticed at times how easily you pick up the pirate lingo too. Perhaps a guest write is in order someday for WWB? How fun would that be? Hugs, Z

Ang~ Thanks, bud!

Anonymous said...

I have always loved Robert Louis Stevenson. Jodi are you his reincarnation? There is no one writing better pirate fiction than you. No one.

Unknown said...

I mean, who doesn't wish they were a pirate?