Saturday, February 06, 2010

Simple Things


Just Chris says on her blog ENCHANTED OAK:

“Today and Sunday, I’d like to celebrate the simple pleasures of life with you. For each person who participates with a list, a poem, or a prose piece about the joy of simple things, my family will donate $2.00 to Heartline Ministries for their medical clinic and other programs in Haiti. The Heartline Ministries blog by John McHoul will tell you more about what they are doing.

Post your piece this weekend and include a link to my blog. Then pop in here to say you’ve posted your “Simple Things.” Post by midnight, Pacific time, Sunday, and don’t forget to link with me and notify me that you’ve posted. You can borrow the “Simple Things” photo. If you don’t have a blog, a comment on my blog will count too if you tell me so.”

I'm assuming this is a good thing because I don't see what the harm would be.
It doesn't harm me to think about how lucky I am. I know that. But enter at your own risk.

SIMPLE THINGS

I am thankful our snowfall has been much less than usual this year, that I have a roof over my head, food in my cupboards; heat; that I have a family and friends to buoy me and let me buoy them; that I was allowed to find the joy in reading and the joy of writing; thankful for the joy of putting on a pair of warm socks; that I have a husband who likes to cook and sticks by me, that I live in a safe place; that there are people who believe that good government is a valuable thing; that there are people who are willing to drop everything and go help in places like Haiti; that because of technology Haiti has been helped much more quickly than what happened in the past; I'm thankful for Doctors Without Borders; thankful, too, that I'm able to think about things like this and have two dollars sent to Haiti.

11 comments:

Enchanted Oak said...

I loved your banner plug for magazines. That's how I make a living, working on them and now writing for one. We have some things in common, like Leonard Cohen (so few seem to know who he is these days), like the joy of writing, and a beaucoup bunch of your favorite things. It's nice to meet you, Patti. Thanks for spending two of my bucks for Haiti!

the walking man said...

Way to go Patti!

DeWayne Norton said...

You're sure these people aren't going to try and steal Haitian children, like the other group? I'm not and so not going to play their game. Think I'm cynical today? Yep.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Well, I'll booster my warning, I guess. I have to think that most people have good intentions and making me think about what I was thankful for is a good thing.

Brian Miller said...

woot. love your simple things. your note on your hubs made me smile.

thought i would derop[ over from chris'...

pattinase (abbott) said...

Nice to meet two new people. I am thankful for that!

Unknown said...

You are such a blessed person.
Wonderful to know you.
hugs
shakira

LadyFi said...

Here's to making life easier for those in Haiti!

Dorte H said...

A great initiative, and you are right, most of us (people who have the time and resources to blog) usually have plenty to be thankful for.

Erik Donald France said...

Very nice stuff. Lots to be thankful for . . .

David Cranmer said...

Amen to everything you said.

My wife and I sent some through American Red Cross. But there are many fine organizations out there that you have pointed out.