Monday, October 05, 2009

MY TOWN MONDAY, Philadelphia-Society Hill Playhouse


There are few things I enjoy more than going to a play. Last weekend I saw a great one at Performance Network in Ann Arbor, THE BLONDE, THE BRUNETTE AND THE VENGEFUL REDHEAD, all played by the wonderful Suzi Regan.

Growing up in Philly, I didn't get to the theater much-if at all. It wasn't in our budget. But if I had been able to go, one theater I would have gone to is the Society Hill Playhouse, now celebrating its 50th anniversary.


From their website because they say it better:

Society Hill Playhouse is located in the heart of the Society Hill District (just 1/2 block off the "hot" South Street Corridor). It's housed in the historic David Garrick Hall.

This century-old building with its Victorian pressed tin walls and ceilings presents good, entertaining shows. No highbrow, high-falutin, artsy stuff here. Although most of the productions are new comedies or East Coast premieres, these shows are not only accessible, but they also reach out and pull you right in, sometimes literally. Shows like the long-running �Lafferty�s Wake� involve the audience; others let you sit back and enjoy the laughs.

Deen Kogan and husband, Jay, launched Society Hill Playhouse in 1960 as Philadelphia's off-Broadway theater for contemporary American and European playwrights. Gradually, it developed a niche in populist comedies, and Nunsense, scheduled for six weeks, ran for ten years. The Red Room cabaret on the first floor seats 99 - and the main stage located on the second floor seats 223.

Deen is also involved with Lou Boxer in NOIRCON 2010. Stop by and see a play this season if you live nearby.

For more My Town Monday posts, see Clair Dickson's site here.

6 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

I've been to very few plays. It's something I've neglected but should do more of.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I could wallpaper my house with the playbills. I bet there's something you've done repeatedly, that I haven't though.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I love plays. I even like musicals!

When I was a kid in NYC, you used to be able to go see shows on (or off) B'way and get standing room tickets for about $10. It was great. My friend and I went to see The Pirates of Penzance about five times my senior year, I think.

Travis Erwin said...

We have a great theater here but I have made a play in years. i need to remedy that soon.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I wonder if my husband would go to plays if I didn't drag him along.

Barrie said...

That's an interesting looking theater. I do love a play!