Monday, June 15, 2009

My Town Monday, June 15, 2009


Jose Saramago reading.







A follow-up on the piece on the death of WSU student Courtney Solomon, which I reported on a few weeks ago. I received this email from Yvonne Solomon, Courtney's mother.

Hello Patti,

A friend provided me with a copy of your article on Courtney ... to update you:

1. Wayne State University did provide me with Courtney's MPA posthumously several days ago. Our family is indeed grateful. She was an excellent student and an avid believer in education. In her memory, we established the "Courtney Solomon Scholarship Fund". We would like to get this information out to her friends and students at Wayne and for those who may be interested, the information is as follows:

The scholarship is through the Pearls of Service Foundation. It is an extension of our sorority, Alpha Kappa Sorority, Incorporated. The President is Terry Mann.

1. Checks should be made payable to the "Pearls of Service Foundation".
2. Please write "In memory of Courtney Solomon" on the memo line of your check.
3. Mail check to 19785 West Twelve Mile Road, #352; Southfield, MI 48076

We are truly thankful to the many people who offered their prayers to the family during this difficult time.

...........

The WSU Development Office is also stepping in to help Mrs. Solomon with funding this scholarship.

For my part, I greatly admire a mother who could so quickly find a way to deal with her loss through altruism. I hope justice is served and the scholarship is quickly funded.

And for more My Town Monday posts, check out Travis Erwin.

4 comments:

Travis Erwin said...

I share your hopes, and although it won't be much I will gladly send a small donation.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Travis-with your recent fire, don't feel obligated at all. You are helping enough because of your creation of MY TOWN MONDAYS.

Travis Erwin said...

I received such overwhelming support after the fire that it has opened up my eyes to the kindness of others and the importance of giving. Like I said it won't be much, but I want to send at least a small amount.

Todd Mason said...

Thanks for letting us know about this, Patti.