Wednesday, June 17, 2009

THE MIDNIGHT ROOM

Founding Fathers reading.









THE MIDNIGHT ROOM is the fifth Ed Gorman book I've read. I'm breaking my rule in reading so many books by one writer, but I swear, no two of them are alike.

There is one commonality though; everyone of them pulls you into the story like a Kansas tornado. Most books today require patience in permeating the story. The first chapter often seems like a warmup. Not in Gorman's. You are involved in the story from page one. I think knowing where to start a story is a great gift and he does.

I got a bit nervous when I realized this one was about a serial killer. And a missing child. And about a gory package that arrives in the mail. But trust Gorman to turn your idea about what this book is about on its head and write a book about two brothers and the people in their lives. Both men are police officers and both get involved with this case.

The brothers are complex characters with a lot of baggage and trying to solve this case will try their very fiber. These two central plots circle each other warily. We get to know a lot of characters well in this book. But this is also a novel where things happen.

I was waiting to read another book about the political consultant from SLEEPING DOGS but this one was a real treat in the meantime. MIDNIGHT ROOM is out in two weeks from Leisure Books. You won't be disappointed. As usual.

6 comments:

David Cranmer said...

I'm glad you liked it. It's sitting on my nightstand waiting to be read.

Charles Gramlich said...

I definitely like to read several Gorman's back to back. Good stuff.

Randy Johnson said...

I'm jealous. This one is on order.

George said...

If you have to break your reading rule, Ed Gorman's books are worth it. Whether it's a western or crime novel, Gorman consistently delivers high-quality story-telling.

Jerry House said...

You can't go wrong with Gorman.

Corey Wilde said...

Ay ay ay! Another one for the list. Thx for the rec.