Monday, February 11, 2008

Have You Ever Written a Love Poem?

Our artwork today comes from Pat Dostine, whose first artshow opened this week at the River Gallery in Chelsea, Michigan. http://patrickdostine.blogspot.com/


Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; mere anarchy is loosed upon the world. The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere the ceremony of innocence is drowned.The best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity.

My husband wrote me this one. Okay, well William Butler Yeats wrote it first but my husband copied it and gave it to me when I was seventeen. Asking for a poem was too much pressure to put him under. He went on to write many things, but no poems.

Have you ever written one for someone special? I hope so. There's nothing like a poem.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Now that's eerie. I woke up this morning with those lines from Yeats running through my mind.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That must be nice--waking up thinking of a poem instead of scraping the ice off the windshield. Except for the occassional tornado and 100 degree day, you Texans have it all over us. Although not the most joyful poem, come to think of it.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Patti,

I have always liked to write poems-structured poems with rhyme and meter. If I ever wrote a love poem it was more like general poetry than for a specific person.

Nice thought, though.

Have a fantastic Valentine's Day.

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

Hi Terrie.
Strangely enough the only one I ever wrote for a specific person was my father and we're not particularly close. I tend to write poems about places more than people. Haven't written one in years though.

Graham Powell said...

My wife used to make me write poems for my kids' birthday party invitations every year, but that's about it.

pattinase (abbott) said...

We used to play this game with the kids where I would make the first line of a poem up and one of them the second, the other the third and my husband the last or vice-versa. I'd forgotten that. They felt like genuises doing it.