Wednesday, January 02, 2008

Do You Dread Coming Home or is it Me?

Everyone at the terminal looks depressed. We are all going back to a city where the sky is gray, the weather cold, the economy down the drain. No one is reading more than the newspaper in a crowd of 100. Ipods, sure. Vacant stares, galore, Cell phones, you bet. The only happy travelers are the ones where Detroit is an interim stop. The ones moving on to sunny climes.
Do you dread going home? Is where you're going home to always a lesser place than where you've been? Does it seem like you're living in the least interesting place on the globe?
Sorry. My birthday has really bummed me out. Who wants to be 60? Only the ones out there who are 70.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry it hasn't been your favorite round-number b-day...and the enviroment is not cheering...hey, at least you're not in Iowa, being pummelled by aspiring presidents. Small favors! Welcome home. Stick around...talented and energetic writers are not ever in sufficient supply.

Anonymous said...

Having been sans permanent address in Hawaii, I can safely say that having a huddling place to reasonably be able to claim is highly preferable even in a fairly malignant climate to being so unemcumbered in a reasonably benign one.

It might well be better to travel, if home is dispiriting, as one is able.

pattinase (abbott) said...

And that i do, ditto.
Iowa is much the same I fear with the addition of cows. Thanks, Todd. Ever the cheerleader.

mybillcrider said...

Believe me, I'd love to be 60!

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sixty is the new 40 right?

Christa M. Miller said...

Well, my in-laws are in South Carolina for the foreseeable future. Meanwhile we're breaking records for December snow. What do you think? :)

As for turning 60: just make this decade your bitch. You write crime fiction - you can do it!

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Oh, come on. 60's not that bad. You're not dead, are ya?

I'm actually looking forward to 60 when it comes around. Means I'll have passed 50, which is quite the accomplishment for men in my family lemme tell ya.

Anything past 51 for me is a bonus round.

mybillcrider said...

Dan, Patti, I thought 60 was the new 30.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Since I have kids older than that...probably not.