Saturday, March 03, 2007

Zodiac

If I had to use one word to describe Zodiac it would be meticulous. Every scene effortlessly feeds into the next one. This is a story of obsession and how it destroys the men in both the police department and in the media who become involved with this case. The acting is very fine--although I have to say I've seen the Downey performance before. I'd like to see him cast in a movie where he doesn't play a character with alcohol and drug issues. The movie also looks good. Gritty. Rain seems to glimmer off every surface. The period details are great.
My one criticism would be the length; it feels longer than it even is since it is relentlessly hyper-focused on the Zodiac case. However, the last hour is the strongest so that helps enormously.
Grade 8 out 10.

Hey, I lost my toolbar where I might have shown a picture. Does anyone know where it went and why? Maria, are you out there?

3 comments:

Maria said...

I don't know, P. The picture insert icon is next to the abc spelling check one for me in compose or html view. I tried turning it off, to see if maybe that's what happened to you, but couldn't do it.

Maybe blogger is going through upgrades or something.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

I agree with your review of Zodiac. So nice when they make a movie for adults.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Although the movie was about the problems of obsession, something about seeing people passionate about their job was awfully nice.
My son, a Macomb County Prosecutor in Michigan, just helped to bring in this Grant guy who murdered his wife and left her torso in the garage. What a frightening case.