Thursday, February 01, 2007

Short Story into Novel--Or not

For the last seven years I have been writing short stories. In these stories, I have learned to excise every unnecessary word. I try to keep my stories under 5000 wrds. Under 4000 even better. And I could learn to love under 2000.
Now, if I'm going to write a novel, I have to come up with at least 50,000 wrds. I can no longer say "That night she slept alone." Now I have to describe the tossing and turning, the trips to the liquor cabinet, the hysterical phonecalls. Or maybe I don't. Maybe that's not a sentence that should be expanded. Maybe I need to expand. "On Thursday, she bought a gun." Maybe writing about the gunshop, its location, the proprietor is what should be expanded. F***
Having the general idea of how this novel will play out is apparently not enough. I have to fill in the blanks. But what blanks need filling. HELP.
I'm delaying this process by entering the Debut Dagger contest. Maybe writing the synopsis will help clarify things. At least I've got those first 3000 wrds. You bet I do.

4 comments:

Christa M. Miller said...

It depends what's important to the story. Description of tossing and turning, etc. shows frame of mind; if it develops the character, and that particular characterization is important to drive the plot forward, include it. If not, the sentence is better. Same with the gunshop. Will the proprietor return, or is it a key part of some trail? Then include it. You know?

Steven said...

I'd also point out that 50k is pretty short. I'd aim for 60-70k myself. I think the key difference between short stories and novels (besides a longer, more complex plot) can be the depth you put to each of the structural elements like setting and characterization. There is the space to explain the motivations of more than just the main character. There will most likely be several settings (including a possibility of discussing a past setting - showing the criminal as a child for instance).

I sometimes have the same problem - I have written several novels in the Precinct Puerto Rico series that take place all in one day which is realistic of course since most crimes will be solved in 24-48 hours. But this will seem too rushed to some readers. Oh well.

pattinase (abbott) said...

If I say 60 or 70k I have a breakdown. Maybe writing classes shouldn't encourage short story writing because some people become wedded to it. And yes, space to explain motivation, but I remember my daugher having to excise a lot of that kind of thing to keep the pace up. I am writing it in sections so far--Violet at 10, Violet at 20 and hoping they will all fit into a piece. If not, short stories all around.

Sandra Scoppettone said...

Forget 60 to 70K..that's just getting by. I've spent my writing career paring down, getting lean. And then along came Ballantine and told me I had to write 95K. Before I signed the contract I got it down to 85K. Even so I was able to write the way I wanted to. Don't think about it. Write the way you always have. Tell your story and see what happens. You might be surprised.