Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Fifteen to Eighteen Years ago

These is some of the crime fiction I was reading between 1989-92. I found the log cleaning up in the attic. This was during a period when I was trying to wean myself from reading so much of this genre. What were you reading? (I know Bryon Q. was reading Horton Hears a Hoo but the rest of you?)
Sleep and His Brother-Peter Dickinson
Well-Schooled in Murder-Elizabeth George
Burden of Proff-Scott Turow
Nemesis-Rosamond Smith
Going Wrong, The Crocodile Bird, Anna's Book-Ruth Rendell
Icy Clutches, Old Scores-Aaron Elkins
The Wench is Dead-Colin Dexter
H is for Homicide, I is for Innocent--Sue Grafton
Dancehall of the Dead, Coyote Waits--Tony Hillerman
A Ticket to the Boneyard, A Dance in the Slaughter House-Lawrence Block
Body in the Vestibule-Katherine Page
Shadown Play, Not That Kind of Place, Deep Sleep-F. Fyfield
A Simple Plan, Scott Smith
A Literary Murder-Batya Gur
Sculptress-Minette Walters
Past Reason Hated-Peter Robinson
Devil in a Blue Dress-Walter Mosley

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hahahaha....Between the ages of 12-15 I was reading a lot of fantasy and science fiction. I was making my way through all of David Eddings books and reading a lot of Star Trek books. It would only be a couple of years later before I finally discovered crime fiction again.

Steve Allan said...

I read HORTON HEARS A WHO last night. Way back when I was reading Turow's books and a lot of Elmore Leonard, plus Stephen King - but I'm from Maine and it's a state law that you read his books.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I can't wait to read Horton Hears a Who again. My grandson is two months. Is it too soon to start. I say no.

Patrick Shawn Bagley said...

I was a 22 year-old college freshman in 1991-1992. Going into college, I worried the other students would think I was stupid because I came out of a lower-working class home where reading was not valued (in fact, it was ridiculed), and I had almost no knowledge of the classics (I naively thought college was all about discussing great writers).

So I hit the campus library and read everything from Edward Abbey to Emile Zola, almost 300 books my freshman year (that's counting assigned texts).

In the end I realized that I was better read than some of my English professors, never mind the other students, and nobody gave a shit whether or not I'd read Notes from the Underground or The Decameron.

I've eased up since then; I only read about 150 books in 2006.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Patrick-My husband and I both came from similar households. We did have one bookcase in the house with mid-century love stories. My greatest burst of reading came when I was home with two small children. Then I read about five books a week. An even split between literary and crime.
But you never quite feel equal with those who grew up on books intead of discovering them.