Saturday, February 17, 2007

Deubt Dagger: Will I or Won't I?

My writing group took a look at my synopsis for a possible Debut Dagger entry last night and voted it about a C+ I'd say. I showed them the sample one the website emailed me first and they didn't much like that one either. My entry didn't pop. I agree. But how can I pop for 750 wrds. Don't I eventually have to give some of the more mundane details or should there be none?
I guess I don't understand synopses yet, which is probably why none of the 11 agents who read it took my novel in stories. I know I should read Ms. Snark, but damn she is a sassy, sarcastic lady.
How can I make every line pop? And do I basically spill all my beans in the synopsis? Don't the 3000 wrds count for more? Back to my computer/ Oh, here it is right here.

6 comments:

Maria said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Maria said...

Oy... what's at "stake" and "much different than you and I would read". Sorry. Sleepy.

Sandra Ruttan said...

What I've noticed about the Debut Dagger from the past few years is that it isn't about making every word pop, really. In my opinion, anyone. Some of the synopses and openings of the winners haven't been gripping either, in my opinion.

But what they shared in common seemed to be sticking in one person's head for the balance of the space. Be it third or first person narrative, what was told was almost always told exclusively from one point of view. My feeling was that character connection ranked high in their assessments.

I do remember one, that didn't even use the full 3000 words. I believe they cut off around 2400. My thinking was that the confidence of going with less and the fact that the author kept it to one solitary perspective helped.

Not sure what more I can say about that, because end of the day a big chunk of this is subjective, and it's down to opinions. Who remembers who won the debut dagger in 2004? I've got to tell you I have no idea - but I know who the runner up was - Louise Penny. And two years later she took the dagger for the best debut.

So... persevere, do your best, and don't give up, no matter what.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Sandra-Thanks for the dissenting view here which really makes me think again because synopsis they sent didn't pop.
They may have a different criteria than an agent. IS there access to the past submissions somewhere?

Maria said...

"They may have a different criteria than an agent."

Makes alot of sense. And it makes alot of sense to follow what's worked to win them over in the past. I'll butt out. Good luck, Patti. Follow your gut.

pattinase (abbott) said...

maria-Did I show you the one that won a few years ago? If not, remind me Monday or so. Not at all what you'd expect. I'll have to run it by the other group.