Monday, January 08, 2007

Manly Things

It's finally cold again in Detroit and once again I am reminded of the manly rules in dressing for the weather. My husband tells me he can't wear a hat, boots, or an umbrella. (He can however nudge me out from under my umbrella). Such clothing would define him as a sissy, I guess. Now are these the rules from 1965 or do they still hold today? Do all men have such a stringent manly code?
Oddly enough, my husband does wear pink/lavender shirts quite regularly. It isn't about color apparently. Just your willingness to let the elements pour down on you.

5 comments:

Stephen Blackmoore said...

When I was a kid I used to think this way. Thought that braving the elements made me better, somehow.

Then my drill sergeant dad looked at me and said, "What, are you stupid? Get out of the goddamn rain."

I figured if he could do it, so could I.

However, I won't wear lederhosen. For anybody.

pattinase (abbott) said...

You California guys are such so much more security in your masculinity.

anne frasier said...

i think it's a location thing. here if you aren't wearing a hat you look just plain foolish. but even on warm days people still wear hats. they're like our blankies.

word ver: nonvops

Stephen Blackmoore said...

If I were secure in my masculinity I'd wear lederhosen.

pattinase (abbott) said...

That would be just a little too secure.