Wednesday, October 11, 2006

A.D.D

I no longer seem capable of finishing a TV show, a book or even a DVD movie. Apparently I have to spend money and go to somebody else's house (AMC) to finish something. I have tried a bunch of the new shows on TV this year and rarely stay until the end. Something about the nature of a continuing narrative puts me off. Although this format produces more compelling stories, it's offputting to someone who wants to watch on occassion. With books, it's a different thing. Why am I reading this when I could be reading that? Okay, I get the idea, now what?
Half Nelson, a movie I saw at the theater, has three of the best performances I've seen in a long time. Gosling is amazing. Yet I think if I were watching it at home, I might have given up on it due to its repetitious scenes of drugtaking.

1 comment:

anne frasier said...

i thought i was the only one having this problem. i can't stick with anything anymore. my television finally quit working, and i never got another one because what's the point? (i do have a tiny one in the bedroom.)
i'm not even sure i can stick with a movie in a theater. and i used to love going to movies.
it's oddly comforting to read about someone else having the same problem!