Thursday, October 18, 2012

My Life at the Theater: THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY

We saw THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY at the Abbey Theater on September 29th. What a special place to see this scary work by Oscar Wilde. The young actor playing Dorian was in his first play and he was marvelous. Sweeping around like the narcissistic prig he was. The production never showed the painting. They used a huge frame with a blank background. At first, I found it jarring, but eventually it came to seem like a good decision. Horror is scarier imagined, I think.

For anyone who's interested, I have an interview at Tom Pluck's Belly Up to the Bar. It's because I am widely known for my drinking prowess. 

3 comments:

neer said...

I am wondering how slowly that blank frame must have started gaining significance.

Here's my entry for FFB

The Vision by Dean Koontz

http://inkquilletc.blogspot.in/2012/10/forgotten-book-v-is-for-vision-by-dean.html

Anonymous said...

Patti - Oh, this is such a good story! I've never seen it dramatised though. I'm glad you enjoyed the experience.

Rick Robinson said...

I've seen the film version - couldn't say which one, but it in B&W - a couple times and really enjoyed it, but have not seen it on stage. This one sounds like it was a lot of fun, and chilling too.