Thursday, October 13, 2011

My Life at the Theater, A Day in Hollywood, A Night in the Ukraine


The university where my husband works (I was laid off) has one of the few, if only, graduate repertory companies in the country. We have seen many fine plays there over the years--last year they did an astoundingly good version of OF MICE AND MEN and CIDER HOUSE RULES.

But this one didn't work for me. It's a musical and although they could sing, they couldn't dance. Dancing is something you can't learn in a few weeks and it showed. They also lacked the comic timing to pull of the second half-a Marx Brothers spoof.

Tommy Tune choreographed and directed this musical in 1980 and won a Tony as did Priscilla Lopez. I can only imagine this play working with the most sure-footed dancers and skilled comedians.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We saw the original Broadway production in 1980, taking our friends from England who were here for Bouchercon. It starred David Garrison (who we just saw recently in Charles Busch's OLIVE AND THE BITTER HERBS) and Priscilla Lopez.

To be honest, other than the fact that we saw it and (sort of) liked it I remember almost nothing about it.

Take that as you will.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I forget it already.

Cap'n Bob said...

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? :}

J F Norris said...

I also saw the original production in NYC. Not the original cast with Priscilla Lopez and David Garrison, though. I liked it a lot. Smart and polished and very funny. The first half with the foot stage was ingenious. I've never seen anything like that before. And the Marx Brothers send-up was very silly - especially to a teenage boy who loved all things absurd and silly like Monty Python and slapstick 1930s movies. The actors apparently had a ball doing it. The performance my family saw was like an episode of "The Carol Burnett Show." The actor who played the Groucho role was constantly ad libbing and cracking up all the other actors. To this day it remains one of my favorite Broadway shows.

I can see how less than talented actors might screw it up. And if your cast can't dance in a show that is really meant to showcase dancing (especially the feet!), then it is sure to die. Sorry you saw a poor production.