Tuesday, October 04, 2011

Forgotten Movies: SAFE




This review, with clips, by A.O. Scott, says it better than I can. Talk about movies that stick with you, this one has haunted me since I saw it in a film class. Is she crazy or is she being poisoned by the world we live in? I don't know. But being safe is a luxury. Great performances and direction from Todd Haynes. Enigmatic movies are difficult to pull off but I think this one succeeded.

Todd Mason will have more links to forgotten movies today.

6 comments:

Loren Eaton said...

I remember seeing this one reviewed in the late nineties and finding the premise fascinating. Never saw it, though. Guess I should remedy that situation.

Todd Mason said...

Worse, safety is a state of mind, much as her peril is.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Exactly, Todd, which is what made me like it so much.

Yvette said...

Wow, what a compelling premise. Thanks for posting about this film, Patti. I'd never even heard of it.

You seem to see a lot of films I've never heard of. You're more in tune with the newer stuff, I suppose.

I tend to shy away from the unsettling.

K. A. Laity said...

I was thinking I'd seen this but I mistook it for another Moore film. Hmmm, this looks good and I have no memory of it. Then again I was living in Connecticut, so it's entirely possible it passed me by.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Kate-I think you would find it really interesting as a feminist statement.