Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Great Recipe

First off, John Kenyon has a new fiction writing contest on his blog.

He wants writers to update a fairy tale as a crime fiction story. Check it out. And check out his cool blog while you're at it.



And Now For Something Completely Different.


This was one of the best chicken dishes I've ever had. Phil made it, of course, but I found it. That counts a little, right?


Use the best chicken you can get-organic and free range if possible
.


Sauteed Chicken with Roasted Grapes (from the NYT
)

3/4 pounds black or red seedless grapes (no stems, of course)
3/4 pound green seedless grapes
4 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
4-6 large, skinned, boneless chicken breast halves
Kosher salt and black pepper
1/4 cup minced fresh chives

Oven at 375. Line a rimmed cooking sheet with parchment paper or a non-stick mat. Put half the grapes in the pan and roast 1 hour, turning once after 20 minutes. They will wrinkle and turn golden.

In a blender, puree the remaining grapes until smooth. Strain through a sieve, pressing to release all juice from skins. Discard skins

In a large, nonstick skillet, melt half the butter over high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and cook until golden brown on both sides, reducing heat to prevent scorching-about 4 minutes per side. Add strained grape puree and simmer until chicken is cooked and juice is syrupy about five minute. Transfer chicken to serving platter and keep warm.

Whisk remaining butter into sauce and cook over high heat for about 1 minutes. Add roasted grapes and heat through. Pour sauce and grapes over chicken. Add chives.

5 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

This sounds great. I collect chicken recipes and love it over any other sort of meat. While i don't have a blender, I'm sure I can figure something out.

Dorte H said...

Looks delicious. I must show my husband the recipe :D

And I´ll think about cooking up a fairy murder.

Anonymous said...

Jackie would like this but not me - I don't like fruit with my meat.

Jeff M.

pattinase (abbott) said...

In our house, we eat fruit with every meal. Not after, with. It's a Phil thing-he loves chutney too.

Erik Donald France said...

Nice -- sounds and looks tasty and I imagine it is.