Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Summing Up, for Friday July 11, 2008

These books were chosen. Thanks to all the contributors.

Robert Gregory Browne, Control, William Goldman
Bill Crider, Death Tour, David J. Michael
Al Guthrie, Portrait in Smoke, Bill Ballinger
Woody Haut, Hard Rain Falling, Don Carpenter
Lesa Hostine, Bachelor Brother's Bed and Breakfast, Bill Richardson
Randy Johnson, Gone South, Robert McCammon
Claire Lamb, Kate Vaiden, Reynolds Price
Todd Mason, On Wings of Song, Thomas M. Disch
Craig McDonald, Four Corners of Night, Craig Holden
Karen E. Olson, Lockout, Lillian O'Donnell
Barrie Summy, The Sweet Second Season of Kitty Malone, Matt Cohen
Louise Ure, No Human Involved, Barabara Seranella

P.S. It is growing more difficult to come up with new people to participate in this as I enter the fourth month. I would most appreciate repeat performances, referrals or volunteers. I am quickly running through the blogging community and non-bloggers, by definition, are more private or remote. Thanks for your help. Of course, all things must come to an end at some point....

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Let's don't come to an end for at least a couple of months. I've written about the project for my Blog Bytes column in EQMM. It should appear next month. I think.

Anonymous said...

Hi Patti:

I don't often contribute because I do not read books as often as you and others on this blog seem to and when I do read a book, it is usually political or historical and not a novel. However, I very much enjoy reading your blog and I encourage you to keep it going.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Chuck. I'd like to have some more people write about biographies and non fiction. I'll try to recruit more of that type.

J. Kingston Pierce said...

Hey, Patti:

I'm hoping to send a few future contributors your way with yesterday's post in January Magazine about the "forgotten books Friday" project:

http://januarymagazine.com/2008/07/
live-from-back-stacks.html

Meanwhile, I'll keep the series going in The Rap Sheet. I have several interesting contributors lined up already.

Cheers,
Jeff

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Jeff. A few volunteers would be swell. I have enough for a few weeks so hasn't reached a critical point yet but the day is coming.

Kent Morgan said...

Patti:

I've been enjoying the project each week and keep promising myself to send you something. However, rereading one book, Pictures From a Trip, a 1985 novel by Tim Rumsey that I want to write about, always gets shoved aside for a new purchase, e.g., The Dawn Patrol by Don Winslow that I am reading. Some journalism projects also get priority, but maybe your threat to shut down unless you get new contributors will get me into action.

Kent Morgan in Manitoba

Barrie said...

Yikes. Just when I'm getting going. :)

pattinase (abbott) said...

Kent-I am okay until mid august-so try to come up with something by then. thanks awfully for your interest. look forward to your review. Patti

Barrie-you're pne of my mainstays.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Patti,

I am drawing to the end of a project and can participate again.

You can assign me to any three different weeks between now and the Twelfth of Never and I will post on those dates. I will also ask for volunteers again on WoM.

You are doing a super job. I print the list out every week.

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

Thanks, Terrie. How about the the 1st, the 8th and the 15th? That would almost get us through summer. Thanks again for all your help.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Patti,

Those dates are fine. I am rounding up the books right now and promise at least one non-fiction.

BTW, Georgie was a great story!

Terrie

Todd Mason said...

Well, Chuck, I've put forward, in my three-fer, Vicki Rader's SIGNAL THROUGH THE FLAMES: MITCH SNYDER AND AMERICA'S HOMELESS, which you might well like extraordinarily, were you to dig it out from ABE Books or some similar source.

Todd Mason said...

That's ON WINGS OF SONG, rather than Winds, by the newly late Thomas M. Disch. Winds of Song can remind one of Windsong, the cheap perfume, and of course of Bean Music.