Monday, March 17, 2008

My Town Monday-Part Deux


Okay, here's a better Monday story.
A.J's Cafe in Ferndale, Michigan is attempting to set a record by singing "Danny Boy" for fifty straight hours. Hundreds of people have signed on for this task, backed up by instruments as varied as kazoons, guitars and organs.
This song has special meaning to A.J. O'Neill (on the left) who last sang it as his father's funeral. The fifty hours will finish today at five.
One elderly woman, on hearing it sung for several hours and perhaps a bit tipsy, asked. "Does nobody here know 'When Irish Eyes are Smiling?"

3 comments:

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Patti,

That's a great story!

Today when we were at the NYC St. Patrick's Day Parade, I started counting how many bands played The Minstral Boy within my hearing. I finally stopped so as not to spoil the day.

Terrie

pattinase (abbott) said...

Now that must be a parade.

Travis Erwin said...

Two My Town posts and I got up none this past week. Thanks for picking up my slack while I was on vacation.

And that is entirely too much Danny Boy for me.