Monday, October 01, 2007

Stress

What do you do to relieve stress? I'm wired in such a way that I am always a bit anxious. Circumstances in the last few years have made that stress worse. Sleep is a real issue. I saw an an in Newsweek last week for a $300 gadget called the Stresseraser that sounded promising. So I high-tailed it to Sharper Image to buy Stresseraser. The gadget is based on biofeedback--the notion thaat you can learn to control your breathing and thus feel more relaxed. The problem is you have to watch the little peaks and valleys and get scored on them. Does this sound like something that would reduce stress, getting scored on how stressful your breathing is? Watching the scratchy climb, the precipitous fall. I would have to use this machine all day to get a satisfactory score. No in fact, the longer I use it the worse my score would be.
Next I'm trying Respirate which gives you musical cues rather than pictures. After that it's a hammer to the head.

13 comments:

Unknown said...

Jogging works for me.

pattinase (abbott) said...

We walk everyday, but probably not fast enough to escape our demons.

Christa M. Miller said...

Wine. Or beer. Each with its own health benefits, even if it's only sleep.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Can I start at ten in the morning?

Anonymous said...

Patti sez: "Can I start at ten in the morning?"

I find nine to be better; the Guinness in my cornflakes is palatable by then.
Go Lions!
John McAuley

pattinase (abbott) said...

I vowed I wouldn't get my hopes up, but 3-1. Yikes! Do we let them break our hearts again?

Christa M. Miller said...

At 10 I have a bit of dark chocolate. Instant pick-me-up. And yes, that is WITH the kids around!

Graham Powell said...

I goof off when I should be working. Like now.

Although that just puts off the stress until later. Which suits me just fine, I'm a procrastinater too.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Oh, I didn't even count this. I guess it does serve that purpose, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

You're probably going to think I'm weird, but I bake - cinnamon buns, brownies, peanut butter cookies, apple pie - all the comfort foods that I grew up with. There's just something about pulling out the recipe, mixing the ingredients, the wonderful smells that drift through the house while it's baking. Then sitting down to indulge in something that I made from scratch. Not to mention the smiles and hugs that go along with those sinful goodies.

pattinase (abbott) said...

My husband cooks to release stress whereas I find cooking/baking stressful. Funny how that works.

Peter Rozovsky said...

Reading something other than my usual recreational reading may not help me sleep better, but it does fortify me against all that the world can throw my way. Shakespeare and Po Chü-i work particularly well: http://www.poemhunter.com/chu-i-po/ I recommend David Hinton's translations of the latter.
===================
Detectives Beyond Borders
"Because Murder Is More Fun Away From Home"
http://detectivesbeyondborders.blogspot.com/

pattinase (abbott) said...

Peter-You're Batman with that method.