Sunday, August 19, 2007

Black Snake Moan


Someone recommended this on their blog recently. Then a friend seconded that review. I was initially put off by the woman in chains poster and the sadistic looking trailers. Boy, am I glad I saw it despite my misgivings. It was a good movie--plot, acting, cinematography, music. It reminded me of a Daniel Woodrell novel. The ending was perfect if enigmatic. Highly recommended. And I didn't know Samuel Jackson was such a great singer. Soundtracks seem to be getting better and better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Samuel Jackson was interviewed for the NPR program FRESH AIR this past week, explaining that he couldn't sing, but in character he was able to...I must admit, the redemption through kidnapping angle didn't do much for me, so I haven't seen this one yet...reminded me of the spots for a 1970s post-BORN INNOCENT tv movie heavily advertised with lubricious ABC spokesvoice Ernie Anderson intoning in the voiceover that some young actress's character starts out as a girl, but becomes a woman (the latter indicated by her heartily biting into an apple) by a kidnapping by a middle-aged man, and implication of some sort of avoidance of the nonetheless heavily suggested sexual impropriety. Shall we say, offputting then, and still now.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Everything you say is what I thought too on seeing the trailers. But somehow there was something touching about this movie. And I loved the music. Maybe low expectations played into it. And, there were a lot of well-intentioned people. I'm always a sucker for that.