Saturday, July 28, 2007

Hairspray and the Modern Zoo

Two issues here. First, I loved Hairspray. Yes, the film traded camp for sincerity, but I adored the naive optimism that every issue could be resolved by a realization that "isms" were ruining the world.
There were a few slow spots but damn, I was tapping my feet to the songs, even if they were unmemorable. What saved the film was the idea that we were worth saving, that the U.S. was, at heart, the Great Society.
When did it all go wrong?
Also did Amanda Byrnes (or whatever) have her skin tinted so as not to appear too white for a black man? She sure was a strange color.

And what is it with modern zoos? I love the naturalistic settings but where were the animals? All of them were submerged in protective coloring. My grandson was only arrested by the motion of butterflies. Everything else was invisible. Maybe we need to paint the rocks turquoise and pink.
So odd to hear the children asking, "Mommy, where are the lions, polar bear, etc? I'm glad to see the cages gone but still... You people with children: explain.

Tomorrow I get to see Tribe and Mrs. Tribe. I am excited!!!!!!!!!



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope I'm not too late: If you get a chance give my regards...

John McAuley

pattinase (abbott) said...

I sure will. You should come up or down and see us sometime.