Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Bayou Magazine

Bayou Magazine told me a year ago that they'd like to hold onto my story "At Sea." I was dubious that they would want to publish it a year later, but today I got word that they are. This is only the second literary story I had accepted this year. I haven't been concentrating on lit stories at all. But I am so glad to see this one in print. Sometimes good things happen. Especially when you asked whoever is listening for it. I work very hard at being a mediocre writer. Sometimes I get rewarded. Sometimes I don't.

9 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

Hey, who are you calling a mediocre writer, Missy?

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic Patti. I admire anyone with the patience and skill to crack the literary journal market. I get antsy after a few months when I haven't heard back from anyone. I think that's probably the main reason I've never seriously pursued journals publication, even though I have a few lit stories I'd like to write.

That and the fact I'm not really that good with lit stories.

pattinase (abbott) said...

As always, you are too kind.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Bryon-That's the whole thing with literary markets. It takes so damned long. This is a story that was a runnerup in two contests, but somehow didn't get published for two years. Usually I give up. But just letting it sit didn't take much energy so I did. My mind was on crime so I didn't notice.
Also you can submit it to as many places at once as you want. I don't do that with the crime zines.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Congratualtions! More stories. More stuff. Produce, produce, produce.

I see they're out of N'Awlens. Any word on which issue it's going into?

pattinase (abbott) said...

They said the next issue.
Thanks Stephen. I thought I was out of the lit fic business, but they dragged me back in. Good thing I don't use cliches like that too often.

mybillcrider said...

Congratulations. And I'm sure lit fic pays almost as well as genre work.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Just half as much, Bill.

Anonymous said...

I second that mediocre writer ludiocracy. Juan Meladin is a mediocre writer. Who's that? Exactly.