Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dreams

Several blogs recently had talked about dreams. I only have (or remember) two kinds of dreams and pretty prosaic ones they are. The first type features various versions on the idea that I realize it's the math final and I haven't attended class all semester. The second type has me hunting through various rooms of a house, secret rooms that I hadn't known were there. Generally the rooms are old and dangerous. I never go outside.
My husband, on the other hand, has fabulous dreams. He's usually in a foreign country, often eastern European, and is often called upon to do valiant acts. I think he's channeling Olen Steinhauer.
Certainly lying next to him has not influenced my dreams at all. I never travel, never save the world. Only last night, he traveled across the ocean on the back of a whale, sitting in a deckchair.
I wonder if writers use up their imagination in the daytime. Do you have prosaic or exciting dreams? Do you remember them?

2 comments:

Steve Allan said...

I've been having weird dreams about ex-girlfriends lately. I either find that they're in some sort of trouble and need help, or that I'm at their funeral and I can't seem to remember their name. No riding any whales (unless you count one ex - I'm kidding). A friend suggested that it's just guilt for finding a place in life where I'm really happy.

As for imaginative dreams like something out of a Neil Gaiman story, I really don't have those. And I don't dream in crime fiction either.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Don't share the first bit of info with your wife. Dreams can be a tricky subject at the breakfast table.